We proudly provide monthly $50 scholarships (October through April) to two seniors from the High Schools located in Monongalia and Preston County.
In addition, an additional $500 is awarded to each student at our annual scholarship banquet, and the top two recipients for the year will be selected as our Students of the Year and are eligible to receive an additional $1,750. Application forms and additional information can be found on the links below.
We honor the winning students during the Month they are selected at our Lodge meeting, held on the 2nd Thursday of the Month, and during our annual scholarship awards banquet held during the 1st week of May. Parents and guardians, as well as school personnel, are invited to attend both the monthly scholarship presentations and the May Awards Banquet.
Features in this year’s contest are:
- Four separate divisions for 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th grade students.
- Monetary Awards for National winning essays from each grade level as follows:
$1,000 for 1st place; $500 for 2nd place; $250 for 3rd place.
- Eligible participants must be Students enrolled in one of these four divisions:
I—5th grade; II—6th grade; III—7th grade; or IV—8th grade, during the normal 2023-24 school year,
preceding June 30, 2023.
- Essay length is not to exceed 300 words.
- Essay must be typed or legibly printed in ink. Also, Essay must be submitted as written (or typed) by the entrant.
- Essay must be submitted for judging to the Elks Lodge administering the contest at his/her school or, if unknown, the Lodge nearest to the home address of the entrant.
- Entrant must be identified on the Essay by name, home address, grade, school attended and sponsoring Lodge. (Lodge may enter Lodge information on Essay Cover Sheet.)
- Deadline: must be submitted to Local Lodge by December 15, 2023.
- Judging Criteria:
Originality: avoids the use of trite or worn out words and phrases.
Development of theme: stays focused on ideas and thoughts; don’t ramble.
Mechanics and neatness: uses proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.