Features in this year’s contest are:
- Four separate divisions for 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th grade students.
- Monetary Awards for National winning essays from each grade level as follows:
$1,000 for 1st place; $500 for 2nd place; $250 for 3rd place.
- ATthe time of the contest, eligible participants must be Students enrolled (during the normal 2033-24 school year, in one of these four divisions:
- Essay length is not to exceed 300 words.
- Essay must be typed or legibly printed in ink. Also, Essay must be submitted as written (or typed) by the entrant.
- Essay must be submitted for judging to the Elks Lodge nearest to the home address of the entrant.
- Participant must be identified on the Essay by name, home address, grade, school attended and sponsoring Lodge. (Lodge may enter Lodge information on Essay Cover Sheet.)
- Deadline: must be submitted to Morgantown Lodge #411 by December 15, 2023.
- Judging Criteria:
Originality: avoids the use of trite or worn out words and phrases.
Development of theme: stays focused on ideas and thoughts; don’t ramble.
Mechanics and neatness: uses proper spelling, grammar and punctuation.